Show reviews that mention
flight air tran airtran customer service service customer airline airport plane flights
Filter review

Airtran sucks

Airtrans Airways took my money to ship luggage, then bumped me off the flight, and I had to pay for my own room in Atlanta. My luggage stayed on the original flight. If you are a serviceman, don't fly Aitrans, ever. Pfc CHE 3/75 Ranger Regiment. This reservation was made 26 days earlier by my father, and he had a confirmation number for my flight. I only have 15 days leave, and now Ive got to spend my first day and a half in Atlanta at a hotel. I repeat, all service personel, do not fly Airtrans Airways, these guys are shysters.
Tucson, Arizona

Air tran's flight attendents are very rude and our gate was changed without announcement

the whole experience was bad!!! i went on line the day before to reserve our seats and the airline wanted to charge $20 for each exit row seat and $6 each for a coach seat. i did not choose our seats. when we got our boarding pass we were seated in the exit seats with out paying. I don't feel i should have to pay extra to get a seat assigned ahead of time!!!! we had 2 flights, one to atlanta and one connection fo fort lauderdale. the staff was very unfriendly. on the seecond flight, we were not even greeted as we entered the plane. my friend asked the flight attendant for a set of ear plugs 3x's and the addentant put her finger up and said wait and walked away ( she was holding the basket of earplugs the whole time, but acted like it was a big inconvenience to stop and hand her the plugs!!!!! they also explained the instructions to the exit doors to us and my friend had her ear plugs in and the flight attendant poked her in the arm and rudely said "are you going to listen to this" it was also done to another passenger and was said very rudely in a very nasty tone!!!!! i also overheard a conversation with another passenger asking to be seated beside girlfriend and was treated very rudelly. on top of that we had a 2hr lay over in atlanta, we got to the gate at 9:30 and departure time was at 10am. we sat for 10min and noticed that there were no passengers waiting with us and they had not started boarding. i went to the desk and was told that our gate had been changed and that we needed to hurry to get to the right gate. he then announced the change. we had listened closely to all the changes and had not heard an announcement!!!!! we feel that with 1/2 hr to spare at the gate, any changes should have been announced!!!! we took off running and just made it to the plane as they were shutting the door. what a fun time with air tran. i will never fly again with them and will tell all my friends the same!!!!!!
Hallandale Beach, Florida

AirTran A+ reward Credits are Worthless!

I used tried to book a flight with Airtran using my A+ reward credits. When I put the dates in I was told I could not use them as it was a black out date. What good are they, If I can't fly when I want too? I don't understand how the airline industry complains so much about people not flying when they wont even work with the consumer. If I have the number of points needed I should be able to fly when I want End of line. Im canceling my Airtran Visa credit card-Thats another story posted on here. "IF" I ever get to use these points, It will be the last time I fly on airtran.

AirTran Airways A+ Reward points are expiring but for an OUTRAGEOUS fee of $29 plus tax for each point, you can extend for more than it would cost to buy a 2 way ticket! My 8 expiring points (enough for a one-way flight) will cost $232 plus tax to extend.

They must think the public are idiots. I asked for an explaination of the cost, but this was not addressed, only that I should book before the expiration date.

Atlanta, Georgia
Loss

Air Tran weather capabilities in question?

I was recently abandoned by Air Tran on a return flight from Phil to Kansas City because of "Bad Weather". However I was able to book a flight that day on US Airways. I was called about 3pm that my 5:40pm return flight was cancelled by the FAA because of "Bad Weather". I went to Phil airport anyway to see if I could find another way home. Upon arrival I noticed that out of approx 200 departures scheduled that evening only 1 was cancelled! Air Trans only flight! Why would the FAA cancel their flight and no one else's. Freezing rain was forecast for later that evening but none was forecast anywhere along my route until well after this flight would have taken place. Since I live 12 miles from the FAA's regional control center in Olathe, Kansas and know people that work there, I called them. They said that the FAA would only cancel a flight if the "weather conditions exceeded the certifications of either the aircraft or the crew." So I ask if US Airways and all 198 other flights from Phil that night could fly why not Air Tran? Of course Air Tran's Customer service agent would only say that the FAA cancels flights for "various reasons," I am left to wonder. Are their planes less equipped than the others? Are their crews less certified? Should we be concerned? You tell me!

The faa dosent cancel flight.the air traffic control does.when there i bad weather at your departure or arrival city or anywhere in between it means less airspace to fly through and that results in cancelled flights also pilots a flight crew can only work so many hours and when bad weather happens flights get cancelled because of crew issues.happens with every airline and the airlines dont have a choice they have to follow the laws

My wife and my 9 yr. old son were flying one of Air Tran's flight scheduled to depart Boston Logan Airport at 4:30 pm.

It didn't leave the airport until 11:33 pm, a 7 hr. delay. Air Tran claimed the delay was due to bad weather. The FAA declared it to be safe around 10:00 pm.

Why is it that my wife and son didn't get off until 11:33 pm? Not only were they delayed 7 hr., they were also asked to changed gates 3 times (the last gate change was back to the original gate). Air Tran didn't even have the courtesy to say "sorry".

The good news is Jet Blue Airline is going to start servicing BWI and Logan on 9/9/2009 (I'm not affiliated with Jet Blue). Now we'll see what happen next.

Saint Louis, Missouri

Air tran illegal practices

I booked a nonstop flight from LGA to MCO that had been advertised on Air Trans site. Only to have it switched to a flight with stops. When I went back and researched it seems all the flights that had been advertised as nonstop where ultimately changed to flights with stops. I contacted their customer relations I was told" Air tran does not offer non stop flights from LGA to MCO" Why are they able to advertise on line and have phone representatives sell non stop flights that they admit do not even exist? It is illegal to sell a service that they admit they don't have.

Airlines have a contract of carraige most say they have a right to change,cancel or reschedule a flight without compensation due to many factors.you should look into or read their contract of carraige and see what it says in regards to this.

So do you maybe have a copy of your non stop flight reciept that you can take them to court with? You could get a ton of money.

Niantic, Connecticut

Airtran Overbooks Flights and Doesn't Follow Their Own Procedures!

This is the letter I wrote to Airtran after my last flight they finally offered a $50 voucher, which as of now has not been received. To Whom It May Concern: I emailed the following letter to you weeks ago. Because I have gotten no response, I am following up by sending the letter to you. All I can really say at this point is your customer service as a company in general is lacking, not only do you “over sale” but your people are rude to the customers. You don’t answer consumer concerns. I have no intention of ever using your services again; furthermore, I plan to tell everyone I know about this experience. By the way, did you know, statistics have shown a satisfied customer tells at least 3 people but an unsatisfied customer tells at least 10? Word of mouth is wonderful, don’t you think? I am writing you because of an incident that happened over the weekend with your branch at IAD. I had flown in to visit and help my daughter out because she was sick. Let me preface by saying I pay extra to fly in and out of IAD, instead of the other airports. On Saturday, I had booked a 6:50 am flight on Air Tran, which was to fly to ATL, then Hobby, We were up at 4am and at the airport by 5am. I went to the machine at the Air Tran terminal and put in my numbers to find that the machine would not take them. Then I waited 20 minutes to reach the counter where 2 people were working, but only one was helping the customers in line the other an older man was moving baggage. There I was told that the flight had been “over sold” and that I may not make it onto the flight. I was also told by the man that they “over sale” all the time. I had to dash off to the security where of course it takes forever to get through, and by the time I got to the gate I was told that I would be on standby for the next flight with no guarantee that I would be able to get on that one, and after that there was a probable 3pm flight. There were two guys there. They had low communication skills and were more than rude!! They told the passengers that they were late in arriving to the airport, and it was their own faults, for being late! We were held up at the counter at the entrance because you over sold tickets!! I was there right on time, The extremely rude man, the one who did most of the talking kept his name tag where it could not be read!! I was told that they could only over sale by no more than 3 people. It seems that they had over sold by 12. I asked to get a seat on the Sunday flight and go back home with my family for the night, I didn’t want to sit at an airport alone possibly all day, as my family couldn’t sit with me, to wait on the flight. But the Sunday flights were “over sold” too!! My daughter and son in law were furious about everything, frankly so am I. I paid full price, for a ticket, as well as the other people that were left waiting with me. When I should have been home at 10am I was home at 6pm. I had plans that day! I will never use Air Tran Airlines again. I will be going onto all consumer websites and posting this letter to you so that consumers are forewarned. I want some kind of compensation for this!! How does your employee think he has a right to talk down to your patrons like he did? I paid full price for my ticket not only did I end up not being on the flight, I had some (sorry for the expression) *** speak to me like a second class citizen! My daughter was so embarrassed about my treatment she is writing a complaint to IAD. I demand some sort of compensation, I demand answers! If a football stadium with thousands of seats can sale and not over sale, how can an airline with less seats not get it right?

This comment is for handbasket.....If your husband was sitting in the gate area, then why did he not board the flight when they were boarding? Seats are not given away util 10 min prior to departure...and it very clearly says on your boarding pass that you must present your boarding pass no later than 10 minutes prior.....why did he not board the aircraft???

Seems to me that someone is stretching the truth....as is with most complaints..... :roll

My husband just called to say he would not be leaving DC on his 8 a.m. flight because Air Tran gave away his seat saying he wasn't there 10 minutes before boarding.

They were right--not 10 minutes, he was there 2 hours before boarding!!! He was sitting in the boarding area when he heard his name called. He went to the desk to find out they had given away the seat. The next flight is at 11 a.m., but the woman at the desk told him there were no seats left on that flight.

He called his government travel service that handles his bookings, and as he was standing at the desk, the travel agent told him there were MANY seats left on that flight. She rebooked it, he told the woman who just told him every seat was booked, and she printed out his boarding pass. What the heck is going on with this airline??? This is the end of flying AirTran for us.

Never, never again. Flyers beware of this phony "we have no seats left of that flight" line.

Wafa

Air Tran bumped me from my flight which was bought and paid for 2 months prior. I could not check in on line at the hotel in the morning, it would not recognize my confirmation number.

I was at the airport in Dallas 1 hour and 20 minutes prior and was refused boarding and told to come back in 3 DAYS for the next available flight. The incredible rudeness of the desk crew, who refused me any compensation or a hotel was shocking. People traveling with young kids, families trying to make a cruise, all denied boarding and told no flights for two to three days!!And, their excuse is that you were the last to check in or you were late. That is BS!!

They are overbooking all of their flights as a matter of company policy, they say by three to six seats, but I think much more. Reading the complaints on this web site as well as others, I would not advise flying Air Tran unless you can afford to lay over for a day or two. Never fly Air Tran when going on a scheduled vacation.

Never again for me. By the way, when I told them that I did not have enough medications with me for such a layover they told me to go to the emergency room.

My wife and I are flying down to Key West after Christmas for her best friends wedding. I wish I had checked customer reviews for Air Tran before I booked two tickets from Boston to Fort Meyers.

The flight is three months away and EVERY review I read is scaring the *** out of me!!! These don't seem to be isolated cases, but the norm. People get to the airport hours before departure and are routinely delayed by incompetent staff. Then they are told they are LATE and the flight is overbooked anyway.

I bought non-refundable tickets and I am seriously considering writing them off and booking with a reputable airline like USAir or American, where I NEVER have a problem. How does the FAA let AirTran stay in business?

How can they sell "Non-stop" tickets and then stop to change planes routinely in Atlanta?? I'd love to hear more feedback on this.

View more comments (3)
Falls Church, Virginia

Verbally abused

Airtran Airways is the worst airline I have ever flown. After being treated rudely because we arrived 4 minutes after their cut off time for checking baggage (which we were never informed of), and after not recieving any answer at all as to why they would not take our bags, we asked to speak to a manager. The "Station Manager" at San Francisco Airport came out to tell my mother and I that she would, "Rather give us a refund than deal with *** like us." Customer service did not care at all that we had been verably abused, made no attempt to help us or reconcile anything. We were issued a refund, and I will never fly their airline again. www.airtranisawful.info

Why are people so quick to suck on AirTran's *** that they're over looking the part where the employee swore at them. Very unprofessional, but I wouldn't expect anything more from their ghetto airline.

They set those times, which are standard with EVERY AIRLINE b/c if your bags have to be delivered to another gate it will hold up everyones luggage and delay the entire flight. Thus your tardiness makes the flight late, which I am sure you would be complaining about if the flight was late.

Its pretty standard now a days for alll airlines to check your bags in advance. To check your bags at least 45 minutes prior to departure is even cutting it. Next time do your research instead of expecting people to tell you what is standard.

"we arrived 4 minutes after their cut off time for checking baggage (which we were never informed of),"

What rock you been living under the last 7 years to not know this?

View more comments (3)
San Francisco, California

Airtran Worse airline I've ever flown

I had the first and worst experience of flying when i took airtran. All their flight were over booked. The flight to ATL from where I had to catcfh a connecting flight got delayed cus the crew wanted to be well rested ( I was taking a red eye and the PA system mentioned that the crew were onboard well rested). So i could not get the connecting flight and since their flights were overbooked, I had to stay in ATL for a whole day. They never payed any compensation and their costumer service was pathetic to say the least. I met several people in the same situation and some in the airport for more than 2 days. Things I will do to avoid flying airtran include volunteering on a manned mission to the end of the universe.

I agree this is the worst airline I have ever been on. They are rude, and obnoxious.

There motto must be the passenger is never right. I book an 8am flight from Newport News, VA to New York City. Was up at 5am. At the airport by 7:00 am.

Had plenty of time to board the 8am flight(or so I thought). My friends baggage was already on the plane. I was only taking one bag with me onto the plane. We got in line for the security check and I thought I heard some mumbled announcement that mentioned La Guardia Airport and said something out loud but no one said anything to me.

They held my friend up in security for about 10 minutes until a woman could come over to check her out. It seems like they where checking ever 3rd person. Again I thought I heard something about a code yellow alert - it was also mumbled so I couldn't hear what they were saying. We finally get in and go to the gate which was marked on the ticket and no one was there which I thought was odd.

After about 10 minutes I hear that the flight to La Guardia was closed. I ran toward the nearest airport person and asked them what was going on. They directed me to the AirTran employee who was very rude and told me that I missed the 4 announcements that the gate was changed. I explained to her what happened and told her I had already paid for two seats on the plane.

She turned around and boarded the plane and gave me a nasty look. We went back to booking and we were told there was 10 announcements. This came from the guy who checked in my friends baggage. Why couldn't he tell us then.

Why did one say 4 announcements and the other 10 announcements. He said it was our fault so the airline was not responsible. The next flight out was at 6pm in the evening and he couldn't guarantee we could board the flight we would have to be on standby. We asked to see a supervisor.

He also said it was our fault and wouldn't do anything except give us seats for the 6pm flight. We waited in the airport all day. My friend was quite sick and had to be put in a wheelchair. At 6pm we where told the flight would be delayed until 6:30pm.

We made sure we sat at the gate by 3pm just in case they changed the gate again. I will never fly out of that airport again or take AirTran again. Another passenger whose daughter was also in a wheelchair do to a car accident began talking to us. She told us horror stories about AirTran and said we should send a complaint to the corporate office.

I'm sure they can care less. I'll go back to flying US Airways and pay the extra $50.00. Also Norfolk, VA is closer to my home in Virginia.

US Airways fly's out of Norfolk, VA and they are very friendly and accommodating. I once lost my boarding ticket and they held the plane for me.

i went to orlando on tran air and on the way back home had a flight from orlando to atlanta then to my home branson. my flight from orlando was scheduled to leave at 8:08 so my family of 4 and i were there at 6:00 am to catch our 8 :08 am flight which we noticed was move to 8:58 .

Well i have a 2 year old and a 5 year old and they told us that we will not be able to make it to our flight from atlanta to branson mo so we will have to take a flight the next day to st louis which is about 4 hours away from our destination so that does not help and my kids will have to stay at the airport all night with our clothes wich were on the 8:08 flight because we allready checked are bag and they did not get it off in time. so i went and talked to a supervisor and he said it was weather related and i should have known 2 days ago , so i then said why did you not let us know and he said what you dont watch the news and buy the way the weather was fine it was a complete lie.

so my family and i had to spend 350 dollars renting a car which they say they will pay me back for but ill believe it when its in my hand. anyway the whole point in flying was to not have to drive and i ended up driving anyway tran air sucks and they wont even make it up somehow like a free flight or something its ridiculous

Clearwater, Florida

Airtran 2 flights 2 rescheduled flight

Somebody in aitran needs to be fired! I booked to single flight at Airtran, I never flew with them and will never again. The 1 flight was booked for september 20 White Plains to San Francisco. 3 weeks later I receive a confirmation schedule by email that it was changed to september 20 with another schedule, that's fine but the rental car reservation has to be re rescheduled... the second change was worse. I booked for October 1st San Diego to White Plains and I receive it has been re-scheduled to October 2nd. That s unacceptable rude. When you call customer service they say that it s company policy and that they can change your schedule anytime. So that one I canceled and re booked on another airline with a big financial lost but that's life... I just want other people knows that Aitran play with the people schedule and looks like somebody is having lot of fun doing that. That's a shame for the industry and the guy doing the schedule should be fired immediately before he brings Airtran to the bankrupt. On my side it's done, they will not see me anymore. If you want prouves of what I say just e-mail me to dmurrle@***.com

I agree with Mark's response. This would likely be the type of passenger to gripe & whine about the entire airline to me the entire flight.

Also, every flight attendant who has worked flights out of White Plains knows how rude, tacky & needy the people there are. I know FA's who schedule their entire month to AVOID HPN!And no wonder!

On a larger scheme I say do not use company that sell tickets and screws theire customer once it is sold. Even for free I will not take them again.

They do not care about the image they provide so they probably do not care of the security either.

I do not want to crash because the pilote received instructions of not taking too much fuel because it cost (some company obligate their pilotes to take less than the comfortable zone of fuel and probably airtran is part of it... because fuel cost...) Customers be aware

First of all...it's not like one person sits there and says, "How can i screw with people?" and changes things to make you mad...it is all part of the larger scheme of things...Flight times and schedules are ALWAYS subject to change on ANY airline. Unfortunately, in your case it was very inconvenient.

But it was NOT a personal attack against you. If airlines didn't reserve the right to change things they would be losing billions of dollars. ESPECIALLY with the high price of fuel recently.

At least you got a refund. It's not like they are saying you can't have your money back...next time, try to think of other people besides yourself, you overly dramatic nightmare passenger.

View more comments (2)
Torrington, Connecticut
Loss

Frequent Itinerary Modification

AirTran has absolutely lost me as a repeat customer. I would cancel my reservation if I thought I could do so without a huge financial penalty. I have never before (and still never yet) flown AirTran. I booked a flight from Tampa to San Francisco on AirTran through Yahoo Travel several weeks ago for a flight this coming January, 2009. On almost a weekly basis, Yahoo Travel has informed me via e-mail that my itinerary has been modified. The first time changed my return from an evening departure and redeye flight to an early afternoon departure. Actually, I was pleased at this change. But, about a week later, I was notified that it changed back to a redeye, and leaving a half hour later than the original departure. Another week passed and I received another notification of change, but found no differences. I called Yahoo Travel and they had no explanation. Today, yet another modification. This time, my morning flight which was to have had me in San Francisco in time for lunch now has me arriving at 9pm! Checking the AirTran web site, all morning flights on that day are gone. Only two mid-afternoon flights are listed. The only consolation I have at the moment is that the flight is still six months away and is very likely to change again, hopefully with a better schedule.
#20218

Got the same problem today on my 2 flights scheduled. To do that either somebody lost it in the company or they are getting close to bankruptcy! They will loose a lot of customer forever, me included.

Orlando, Florida

LYING RUDE AGENT & RUDE FLIGHT ATTENDANTS

My husband and I returned to Atlanta on flgt #772 leaving at 3:18PM, June 7th, 2008. 24 hours earlier (Friday), we had upgraded to seats 1A & 1C for easy access because I am disabled. We printed our boarding passes and itinerary(which I still have proving we were assigned to 1A & 1C) at that time. We boarded last because of my mobility chair. My husband saw our assigned seats were already occupied (by two guys who were very obviously NOT disabled). An agent was called. We explained we had upgraded to those seats yesterday(Friday); she LIED about it not being in the system, that we were in seats 11C & D. She became extremely rude and shouted at me, "WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO ABOUT IT!!!! THOSE(11C &D) ARE YOUR SEATS. SEE--IT'S ON THIS PASSENGER LIST!!!! DO YOU WANT TO GET ON THE PLANE OR NOT??!!??" At the very least, she could have asked one of those guys to move so that I could be in 1C. Instead, I was made to struggle to get to row 11. We received no help from the attendants at all. After that, the flight attendants were very cold to us. The whole flight was made extremely unpleasant for us. We have never been treated in such a manner in all the years we have flown with Airtran since it first began service out of Atlanta. We have flown at least 2 to 4 times per year. This was the first time my husband ever said "AIRTRAN SUCKS!!!! It will be a long time before we EVER fly with Airtran again. The flight attendants made me feel uncomfortable the WHOLE trip back and that they didn't want to serve us at all but were doing it only because it was their JOB. We are going to tell everyone about this rotten experience and put it on the internet.

You upgraded? Well...

Let's roll out the red carpet for the last-minute-business- class upgraders!If it was that important, you would have booked Row 1 in the first place. I have worked thousands of miles on that plane. It's only FOUR rows back! Come on lady!

And of course the FA's were only serving you because they had to! Do you really think they were going to kiss your behind because you griped & whined to a gate agent?!!

AirTran people are the worst of the worst. They have a discount at The Rose Restaurant near BWI.

The come in, are rude, are rude are rude, and don't tip!! If they do tip it is a lousy tip after they run you for this and that and then all want seperate checks.

I wish we had a contract with Southwest Airlines who are the friendliest people and tip well. Everyone that works at The Rose from the bartenders to the waitstaff HATE waiting on Airtran people.

Pilot,

Let me guess--you're talking about yourself.

Trevor,

You should learn to read before writing such an ignorant reply. READ the first paragraph again.

They have every right to kick you and your husband off the plane if you are causing scene. Why did you wait till the last minute to change your seating.

Since you fly 2-4 times a year obviously you would have known well in advance that these seats were not suitable for you. They don't need you and your husband on their flights if you will ban them just because of one bad experience. I am surprised they did not have a FA watch over you and your husband since you need to be 14 or over to travel alone and in this letter you are clearly acting like you are seven and your husband just the same. They were not lying, you just asked for the seating change in the last minute.

hate to break it to you kiddo but you only upgraded the seats one day earlier and they did not get the information yet. Perhaps when you get older you will learn not to wait till the last minute.

Let me guess. Your a fat self serving pig.

View more comments (5)
Tujunga, California

Avoid AirTran at All Costs!

AirTran flights are randomly delayed for no good reason. And, if you are lucky enough to fly in the evening, you will miss your connecting flight (despite the fact that they reassured you that it was also delayed and you will make it). So, you get the added bonus of sleeping in the airport! There is a reason that AirTran is usually the cheapest flight. My husband and I have used them on 3 separate occassions... everytime was a disaster. One or two problems could be an unfortunate fluke. But, this is a pattern here folks. The money you might save by flying AirTran, you will spend on food in the airport and taxi fare to a hotel. Just shell out the extra cash and fly a different airline.
New York, New York

Will never again use AirTran

I must start by saying that the actual flight, including the attendants, for all four of the flights we took between May 24th and May 28th 2008 were great. It was the customer service/check-in, etc. that we dealt with mainly at the Atlanta airport. On May 24th our flight from Flint Bishop Airport was literally 5 minutes late, which prevented us from making our connecting flight to West Palm Beach FL. We were late due to the fact that we had to wait for another AirTran flight to arrive so we actually had a crew on our flight. Although we were told by the customer service agent in Flint that they would call ahead and try to have them hold the connecting flights in Atlanta, I hardly think that happened. We arrived in Atlanta at 8 a.m. only to be told we couldn't be guaranteed another flight until 8 p.m. While we did try to get stand-by seats on a 10:30 a.m. flight that one came up overbooked, which was a word I heard throughout the C Concourse frequently for AirTran flights during the 12 hour stay I endured at the airport. Of course when we finally got to West Palm Beach late that night, we had to go on a hunt for our luggage at the AirTran desk where the lights were off and the 800 number that was posted on the desk led to a recorded voice message. Luckily there was a lovely young lady in the back who did have our bags. They basically screwed us out of an entire day of vacation. I also find it odd that while we were only offered 1 meal voucher (for 12 hours) for unwillingly having to wait for a later flight - people who voluntarily gave up their seats to take a later flight were offered free flights! Good luck! Free flights with them are still too pricey! I do agree with another complaint I read on here that the AirTran staff at Atlanta Airport are Horrible.
Lansing, Michigan

AirTran Airlines

Bait and Switch - I signed up for AirTran's February promotion for a $25.00 voucher only to find out that they never sent out all the vouchers. I never received mine. After making numerous phone calls and spending an inordinate amount of time just to ensure I was going to receive the voucher I was told to make the reservation and they would credit me with the promotion. So I bought the tickets. I still didn't have a voucher so I followed up. A couple of phone calls later I was finally told by customer relations "Too Bad" you don't have a voucher, the promotion is over and you not getting anything. I'm pissed off! I've been flying almost monthly for 21/2 years on AirTran - is this any way to build customer loyalty - "Too Bad" is all they can say. Outrageous!

dont you mean Air Trash?

Delray Beach, Florida

AirTran Airways-stuck on plane total 5 hours!

I am writing to complain about Flight 716 on January 17th, 2008, nonstop from Dulles to Orlando leaving at 11:32am. My son, my fiancee, and I were on that flight. It is by far the worst flight I have ever taken in my life.It was my fiancee's first time on a plane, and needless to say he couldn't believe how bad his first flight turned out to be. It started to snow heavily at 9:00am in the Washington area and the flight was supposed to leave at 11:32am. Some airlines were already delaying flights. But not Airtran. The plane got to the terminal late, at 11:48am. Obviously the weather was a problem. Yet for some strange reason, Airtran decided to board the plane, and have us sit in the plane for three hours and ten minutes. Why make the foolish decision to board the plane in the middle of a snowstorm if you were not one hundred percent sure that you could ***? The air circulation on the plane was awful. There was no fresh air circulating because the plane shut down, and it was disgusting. The Pilot tried to turn the plane back on once or twice more, for a few minutes each time, but it was so disgusting, and cramped and nasty in there, you felt like you were going to go crazy. My fiancee, my son and I were sitting in a cramped plane with knee pains and back pains along with other frustrated, starving, confused passengers wondering why were we sitting on a plane that was not taking off! People took turns walking up and down the aisles smacking into each other just to stretch out their bodies. To make matters worse, the pilot decided to insult our intelligence by getting on the PA system every 20 minutes with BS excuses as to why we could not ***, which included, the weather, the plane had to be de-iced, the tower is not letting us go, the runaway needs to be cleaned, the plane needed to be 'pulled' off the runaway by some machine.....excuse after excuse after excuse. He knew *** well we could not ***, so why was it necessary to keep us on a plane for three hours and ten minutes? We were not offered water/juices or appropriate snacks nor food vouchers. Somebody asked about getting off the plane, but the stewardess said we'd miss our flight if we got off the plane-turning us into fearful prisoners. We were only given soda which is absolutely unconscionable, and after three hours and ten minutes, we were told we could go back to the gate to go eat something and were told to come back in twenty minutes. Why twenty minutes? Because after twenty minutes they foolishly boarded the plane again, and had us sit on the *** plane again for one hour and a half with more excuses how the plane had to be de-iced AGAIN, how there was now a maintenance issue (with no clarification offered) that needed to be resolved, the plane needed to be refueled, how the tower had still not told us we could leave. All he kept saying was 'we are ready to leave but this, we are ready to leave but that'. Total ***. WE WERE NOT READY TO LEAVE! By now, were were beginning to think there was something wrong with the plane and that you they used the weather as an excuse, considering the fact that in the total five hours were were sitting on the plane there was no fresh circulating air and other planes around us were taking off, but not us! We finally took off an additional confinement of an hour and a half later after the most horrendous experience with an airline that we have ever experienced. Why did they keep us on the plane so long instead of allowing us to just wait at the gate? Why didn't they offer us food vouchers if they found it absolutely necessary to keep us on the plane that long? Why didn't they offer us travel on a later flight? I believe they owe every passenger on that plane a written apology and compensation for the unconscionable and unethical way they treated us. The weather is no excuse for keeping people on a plane for 5 hours! We arrived at Florida practically running out of that plane, completely miserable, major body aches, starving, stressed-this is how we began our vacation. We would have been ten times better off if they had just used some brain cells and never allowed us to board, and just let us stay at the gate/terminal with access to clean bathrooms and food and comfortable chairs, and television/news access until they were 100% sure they could ***, or offered us travel on a later flight. Why would they board a plane and make people sit on the plane for a total of 5 hours in a snowstorm if they know the weather is not suitable for flying and if they had a clue that they would be delayed that long? I for one, cannot imagine flying with them again. Beware!
#20291

Do you work for an air line? Do you know how an air line is ran? Apparently not. An air line puts you on a plane because they want everyone ready to go when ATC says it is ok. If you are not on the plane ready to go, you will probably miss the opening that ATC gives you. It takes time to board and get everything done. You can't do all of it in 10 min.

Another thing: the capt. can't just turn the plane around because he wants to. He has to do what ATC and Operations says to do. The plane does have to be deiced, the runway does have to be cleared off, and everything else he said.

Also, Airtran is a beverage/snack service flight only. If you are traveling fron DFW to MCO, then a normal person would bring a snack. Being on a plane for 3 hours is NOT fun, but air lines do NOT do it just for the heck of it.

No one was holding you hostage. If you didn't like it, you should have demanded to get off the plane. You can go to any other air line, and if it was the same situation, you would get the same treatment! Instead of just sitting there complaining, you should have got off the plane and booking on another air line. Sometimes situations like this just can't be helped. It sucks, but it happens.

Gaithersburg, Maryland